StarTech USB-C™ Multiport Adapter
- 1 x Multiport Adapter
- 1 x User Manual
- USB-C Port (for full Multiport Adapter functionality the port must support USB Power Delivery 3.0 and DP Alt Mode)
- (Optional) Video Card with DisplayPort 1.2 (required when using a 4K display)
Cable requirements are optional and will depend on the port configuration of the host laptop and the devices connected to the Multiport Adapter.
- USB-A Cable
- VGA Cable
- HDMI Cable
- CAT5e/CAT6 Cable
Display requirements are optional and will depend on the port configuration of the host laptop.
- 4K Compatible Display
- HDMI Compatible Display
- VGA Compatible Display
Operating System (OS) requirements are subject to change. For the latest requirements, please visit www.startech.com/DKT30CHVSCPD.
Powering the Multiport Adapter
USB Power Delivery 3.0
Fast Role Swap:
A Fast Role Swap function is available when using Power Delivery 3.0. This function prevents USB data disruption when switching power sources (bus power to USB-C power adapter or USB-C power adapter to bus power). For this function to work, the host laptop must also support Power Delivery 3.0.
The Multiport Adapter is powered by the host laptop’s USB-C port and does not require a separate power adapter.
- Connect the USB-C Host Connector on the Multiport Adapter to a USB-C port on the host computer.
- Depending on the Host (Computer) operating system, the Multiport Adapter will automatically detect and install the required driver.
USB-C Power Adapter:
The Multiport Adapter is powered using the host computer’s USB-C power adapter.
The Multiport Adapter requires 15 W of the power delivery capacity to power the adapter and its connected devices.
- Connect the Multiport Adapter’s USB-C Connector to a USB-C port on the host computer.
- Connect the USB-C connector on the host computer’s power adapter to the USB-C port on the Multiport Adapter.
- The power adapter will power the Multiport Adapter and pass power through to the host computer.
- Depending on the host laptop’s operating system, the Multiport Adapter will automatically detect and install the required driver.
Disconnecting the USB-C Power Adapter
Warning (if using Power Delivery 2.0): Before disconnecting a USB-C power adapter from the Multiport Adapter, ensure all data transfers are complete. If you disconnect the power adapter while transferring files to or from an attached storage device, the transfer will stop. This may corrupt any files that you were attempting to transfer.
- Complete all data transfers.
- Disconnect the Multiport Adapter’s USB-C Connector from the host computer.
- Disconnect the USB-C Power Adapter from the Multiport Adapter.
- Disconnect the HDMI device from the HDMI Port.
- Eject the SD or Micro SD card(s).
- Disconnect any USB peripherals.
Connecting the Multiport Adapter
The USB-A Ports can be used as charging ports (e.g. cell phone, laptop, tablet, etc.), or to connect a USB storage device (e.g. Flash Drive) or other USB peripheral device (e.g. Keyboard, Mouse, etc.).
- Connect a USB-A Cable to a USB-A port on the Multiport Adapter.
- Connect the other end of the USB-A cable to a USB-A port on your USB device.
Note: The USB-A Port can fast-charge devices that comply with USB Battery Charging Specification Revision 1.2.
The USB-A Ports have a combined maximum power output of 10 W. Individually the ports have a maximum power output of 7.5 W. If a device is connected to one of the USB-A ports and is using the total power output of that port (7.5 W), only 2.5 W of power output will be available between the two remaining ports.
The HDMI Port is used to connect a Video Display Device to the connected host computer.
Note: The Multiport Adapter is a single video display adapter. You can connect either an HDMI Display or a VGA Display. If you connect a Display to both the HDMI Port and VGA Port only the Display connected to the HDMI port will function correctly.
- Connect an HDMI Cable to the HDMI Port on the Multiport Adapter.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI Cable to an HDMI In port on a Video Display Device.
The VGA Port is used to connect a Video Display Device to the connected host computer.
- Connect a VGA cable to the VGA Port on the Multiport Adapter, and tighten the two screws on either side of the VGA connector.
- Connect the other end of the VGA Cable to the VGA port on a Video Display Device and tighten the two screws of either side on the VGA connector.
- Connect a CAT5e/CAT6 cable to the RJ45 port on the Multiport Adapter.
- Connect the CAT5e/CAT6 cable’s other RJ45 connector to an RJ45 port on a+ compatible Network Device.
Inserting an SD Card
1. Insert an SD Card label side down into the SD Card Slot on the Multiport Adapter.
Note: The host computer’s Operating System (OS) will automatically detect the SD Card and install the required driver software.
Installing the Driver
If the required driver does not automatically install after connecting the Multiport Adapter to the host computer, complete the driver installation manually:
- Connect the Multiport Adapter to the host computer (see Connecting the Multiport Adapter), the Found New Hardware pop-up will appear.
- On the Found New Hardware pop-up, click the Cancel button.
- Using a web browser, navigate to www.startech.com/DKT30CHVSCPD.
- On the Product page, click the Support tab located in the middle of the screen.
- In the Drivers and Downloads section, click on the driver link that corresponds with the operating system running on the host laptop.
- Once the download is complete, extract the contents of the .Zip file.
- Click the appropriate driver for the version of operating system that you are running and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Max resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 30Hz
Max resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
Configuring a Display
Video output capabilities are dependent on the video card and hardware specifications of your connected Host computer.
Note: Navigating to the Settings screen will vary depending on the operating system (OS) or operating system version running on the host laptop.
- Right-click on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution or Display Settings (depending on the version of your OS) from the pop-up menu.
- Adjust the display order, screen resolution, orientation and display mode as needed.
- Click the Apple Menu and select System Preferences.
- Click Displays to open the Display Preferences screen.
- On the Display Preference screen, you can configure your system’s display setting.
Some display preferences are for multiple display setups and may not be applicable to this product or a single display setup.
- Landscape: Sets the display in a horizontal orientation.
- Portrait: Sets the display in a vertical orientation.
- Extend desktop to this display: Extends your desktop area spanning multiple displays, allowing you to move applications from one display to the other.
- Duplicate desktop on: Duplicates the desktop marked as the main display on the selected display.
- Disconnect this display: Disconnects the selected display.
Reactivating an SD Card Auto play/Autorun Function
Depending on the host computer’s OS, the SD Card Configuration screen may appear, giving you several configuration options. If you select the Take No Action option, you will deactivate the Auto play/Autorun function. To revert back to the original settings:
- Navigate to the host computer’s root folder (e.g. My Computer or Computer in Window).
- In the root folder, locate the SD Card (may be listed by the manufacturer’s name) on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Right-click on the SD Card.
- Select Open Auto play or Autorun (depending on the host computer’s OS) from the drop-down menu. Selecting Auto play or Autorun will reactivate the SD Card’s Auto play/Autorun functionality.
- The SD Card Configuration screen will appear, enabling you to select an alternative configuration option.
StarTech.com’s lifetime technical support is an integral part of our commitment to provide industry-leading solutions. If you ever need help with your product, visit www.startech.com/support and access our comprehensive selection of online tools, documentation, and downloads.
For the latest drivers/software, please visit www.startech.com/downloads
This product is backed by a three-year warranty.
StarTech.com warrants its products against defects in materials and workmanship for the periods noted, following the initial date of purchase. During this period, the products may be returned for repair, or replacement with equivalent products at our discretion. The warranty covers parts and labor costs only. StarTech.com does not warrant its products from defects or damages arising from misuse, abuse, alteration, or normal wear and tear.
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall the liability of StarTech.com Ltd. and StarTech.com USA LLP (or their officers, directors, employees or agents) for any damages (whether direct or indirect, special, punitive, incidental, consequential, or otherwise), loss of profits, loss of business, or any pecuniary loss, arising out of or related to the use of the product exceed the actual price paid for the product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages. If such laws apply, the limitations or exclusions contained in this statement may not apply to you.