Vtech DM221-2 Digital Audio Monitor User Manual
What’s in the box
Important safety instructions
When using your equipment, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury, including the following:
- Follow all warnings and instructions marked on the product.
- Adult setup is required.
- This product is intended as an aid. It is not a substitute for responsible and proper adult supervision and should not be used as such.
- This product is not intended for use as a medical monitor.
- Do not use this product near water. For example, do not use it next to a bathtub, wash bowl, kitchen sink, laundry tub, or swimming pool, or in a wet basement or shower.
- CAUTION: Use only alkaline batteries (not included). There may be a risk of explosion if the wrong type of battery is used for the parent unit. Do not dispose of batteries in a fire. They may explode. Check with local codes for possible special disposal instructions.
- Do not open or mutilate the batteries. Released electrolyte is corrosive and may cause burns or injury to the eyes or skin. The electrolyte may be toxic if swallowed.
- Use only the adapters included with this product. Incorrect adapter polarity or voltage can seriously damage the product. Baby unit power adapter: Input 117V AC 60 Hz; output: 6V AC 300 mA Parent unit power adapter: Input 100-120V AC 60 Hz; output: 6V DC 400 mA
- The power adapters are intended to be correctly oriented in a vertical or floor mount position. The prongs are not designed to hold the plug in place if it is plugged into a ceiling, under the table, or cabinet outlet.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Use and store the product at a temperature between 32oF and 104oF.
- Do not expose the product to extreme cold, heat, or direct sunlight. Do not put the product close to a heating source.
- The batteries should not be exposed to excessive heat such as bright sunshine or fire.
- Make sure the baby unit and the adapter cord are always out of reach of the baby, at least 1 meter (3 feet) away from the baby or crib, to avoid a possible strangulation hazard.
- Other electronic products may cause interference with your audio monitor. Try installing your audio monitor as far away from these electronic devices as possible: wireless routers, radios, cellular telephones, intercoms, room monitors, televisions, personal computers, kitchen appliances, and cordless telephones.
- Never place the baby unit inside the baby’s crib or playpen.
- Never cover the baby unit or parent unit(s) with anything such as a towel or a blanket.
Install the battery
The parent unit runs on a rechargeable battery or AC power. To continuously monitor your baby, make sure you use both battery and AC power at the same time. With the battery alone, the parent unit can cordlessly run for a short time only.
- Use only the battery supplied with this product.
- If the parent unit will not be used for a long time, disconnect and remove the battery to prevent possible leakage.
Replace the battery
To replace the battery, pull out the battery compartment cover, and then lift up the battery. Follow the steps above to install the new battery.
Connect and charge the battery
- Use only the power adapters supplied with this product.
- Make sure the electrical outlets are not controlled by wall switches.
- The power adapters are intended to be correctly oriented in a vertical or floor mount position. The prongs are not designed to hold the plug in place if they are plugged into a ceiling, under the table, or cabinet outlet.
- Make sure the parent unit, the baby unit, and the power adapter cords are out of reach of children.
Connect the baby monitor
Charge the parent unit battery
When you have connected the parent unit and installed its battery for the first time or after a power outage, the parent unit powers on automatically. The battery icon indicates the battery status (see the following table).
- The parent unit battery is fully charged after 11 hours of continuous charging.
- It takes longer to charge the battery when the parent unit is turned on. To shorten the charging time, turn the parent unit off while charging.
- The standby time varies depending on the volume level you set, your actual use, and the age of the battery.
This baby monitor is intended as an aid. It is not a substitute for proper adult supervision, and should not be used as such.
Test your baby monitor
You may test the baby monitor before initial use, and at regular times thereafter. For hearing protection, make sure the parent unit is more than 3 feet (1 meter) away from both baby units. If you hear any high-pitched noise, move the parent unit further until the noise stops. You can also press VOL- on the parent unit to lower or mute the noise.
- Make sure your baby units and parent unit are on.
- The parent unit displays images from the baby unit.
- Speak towards the microphone of the baby unit. You will hear the sound at the parent unit.
- If you have two baby units, press on the right side of your parent unit. The screen switches to another baby unit. Then, repeat step 2.
When the parent unit displays No link to Camera, and the LINK LED light flashes, move the parent unit closer to the baby units (observe the minimum distance of 3 feet/ 1 meter). You can also check if the baby monitor is connected to a live power socket and switched on.
The operating range of the baby monitor is up to 1,000 feet (300 meters) outdoors or 160 feet (50 meters) indoors. The actual operating range may vary depending on the environmental conditions and other interferences such as walls, doors, and other obstructions.
Parent unit overview
Unit status icons
Using the baby monitor
Turn on or off the parent unit screen
You can turn on or off the parent unit screen without powering off the parent unit. You can still hear sounds from the baby unit.
- Press and hold LCD ON/OFF on the parent unit to turn off the screen.
- Press any key on the parent unit to turn on the screen again.
General product care
To keep this product working well and looking good, follow these guidelines:
- Avoid putting it near heating appliances and devices that generate electrical noise (for example, motors or fluorescent lamps).
- DO NOT expose it to direct sunlight or moisture.
- Avoid dropping the product or treating it roughly.
- Clean with a soft cloth.
- DO NOT immerse the parent unit and the baby unit in water and do not clean them under the tap.
- DO NOT use cleaning spray or liquid cleaners.
- Make sure the baby unit and parent unit are dry before you connect them to the mains again.
When you are not going to use the baby monitor for some time, remove the rechargeable battery from the parent unit. Store the parent unit, the baby unit, and the adapters in a cool and dry place.
FCC and IC regulations
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the requirements for a Class B digital device under Part 15 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules. These requirements are intended to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
- Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Changes or modifications to this equipment not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment. This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- this device may not cause harmful interference, and
- this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
RF radiation exposure statement
The baby unit complies with FCC RF radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment. The baby unit should be installed and operated with a minimum distance of 20 cm (8 inches) between the baby unit and all persons’ bodies. Use of other accessories may not ensure compliance with FCC RF exposure guidelines. This transmitter must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter. This equipment complies also with Industry Canada RSS -102 with respect to Canada’s Health Code 6 for Exposure of Humans to RF Fields.
What does this limited warranty cover? The manufacturer of this VTech Product warrants to the holder of a valid proof of purchase (“Consumer” or “you”) that the Product and all accessories provided in the sales package (“Product”) are free from defects in material and workmanship, pursuant to the following terms and conditions, when installed and used normally and in accordance with the Product operating instructions. This limited warranty extends only to the Consumer for Products purchased and used in the United States of America and Canada.
What will VTech do if the Product is not free from defects in materials and workmanship during the limited warranty period (“Materially Defective Product”)? During the limited warranty period, VTech’s authorized service representative will repair or replace at VTech’s option, without charge, a Materially Defective Product. If we repair the Product, we may use new or refurbished replacement parts. If we choose to replace the Product, we may replace it with a new or refurbished Product of the same or similar design. We will retain defective parts, modules, or equipment. Repair or replacement of the Product, at VTech’s option, is your exclusive remedy. VTech will return the repaired or replacement Products to you in working condition. You should expect the repair or replacement to take approximately 30 days.