Epson ET-3830 Inject Printer User Manual
Important Safety Instructions:
When using telephone equipment, you should always follow basic safety precautions to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the following:
- Do not use the Epson® product near water.
- Always keep this guide handy.
- Avoid using a telephone during an electrical storm. There may be a remote risk of electric shock from lightning.
- Do not use a telephone to report a gas leak in the vicinity of the leak.
To reduce the risk of fire, use only a No. 26 AWG or larger telecommunication line cord. The illustrations show the ET-4850, but the steps are the same for the ET-3830 and ET-3850 unless otherwise specified.
- Do not open the ink bottles until you are ready to fill the ink tanks. The ink bottles are vacuum-packed to maintain reliability.
- Some products may not include a CD.
- Remove all protective materials from the product.
Caution: Do not touch the flat white cable or the ink tubes and their translucent cover.
- Connect the power cord to the back of the product and to an electrical outlet.
Choose a setup method
The Epson Smart Panel® app can help you set up your printer through an interactive, step-by-step process using your smartphone or tablet. To use your mobile device for setup, continue to step 1. If you do not want to use a mobile device for setup, skip to the
“Fill ink tanks” section below.
- Download the Epson Smart Panel app from your device’s app store. Do not launch the app yet.
- Press the power button to turn on the product.
Note: Do not connect your product to your computer yet.
- Launch the app and follow its instructions to set up your product. If necessary, tap the + icon on the top right corner of the app’s home screen, tap Start setting up, and follow the instructions to set up your product.
For information on connecting your product to a computer, using voice-activated printing, or solving problems, or for details on reaching Epson support, see the sections on the back of this sheet.
Fill ink tanks
Keep the ink bottles out of the reach of children and do not drink the ink.
This product requires careful handling of ink. If ink spills, wipe it off immediately with a damp towel to avoid permanent stains. If ink gets on your clothes or belongings, it may not come off. After setup, periodically inspect the ink levels to ensure they do not fall below the lowest lines on the tanks. Prolonged use, when ink is below the lowest line, could damage the product. See the online User’s Guide for refilling instructions.
- Epson cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of third-party ink.
- Use the ink bottles included with the printer to set up the product. Part of the ink will be used to charge the print head. These bottles may print fewer pages compared with replacement ink bottles.
- Epson strongly recommends the use of genuine ink to ensure optimal print quality and performance.
- With the scanner unit raised, open the ink tank cover, then open the cap for the black (BK) ink tank.
Note: Refer to the color-coded sticker to identify the color of each tank.
- Unpack the black (BK) ink bottle. Hold the ink bottle upright and slowly turn the bottle cap to remove it.
Caution: Do not shake or squeeze the ink bottle. Do not touch the top of the ink bottle after its cap is removed.
- Insert the ink bottle into the filling port.
Note: Do not force the bottle into position; each bottle is keyed for each color.
- Wait for the ink to fill the tank. Do not squeeze the bottle or allow it to contact any other surface. Note: Ink flows into the tank and stops automatically when the ink tank is filled to the upper line. If the ink does not flow from the bottle, lift and reinsert the bottle.
- When the ink tank is full, remove the ink bottle and securely close it with the bottle cap. If any ink remains in the bottle, close the bottle and store it for later use. Note: Do not leave the ink bottle inserted; otherwise the bottle may be damaged or ink may leak.
- Securely close the black ink tank cap.
- Repeat the previous steps for the other colors.
See the online User’s Guide for information about loading capacity, available paper types, and sizes, using the ADF and loading envelopes.
- Make sure the product is not charging ink and then open the front of the paper cassette and pull out the paper cassette.
- Slide the side edge guides all the way out.
- Insert the paper with the glossy or printable side down.
Note: Make sure the paper is loaded against the front edge guide and not sticking out from the end of the cassette.
- Keep the cassette flat as you insert it all the way.
- Pull out the output tray.
- Select the paper settings on the product’s control panel.
Connect the fax line (ET-4850)
- Connect a phone cord to a telephone wall jack and to the LINE port on your product. See the online User’s Guide for more information.
- Select Proceed on the LCD screen to set up the fax, or select Set Up Later to set it up later.
- An Internet connection is required to obtain the product software.
- To print from a Chromebook™, go to
http://epson.com/support/chromebookprint (U.S.) or
http://epson.ca/support/chromebookprint (Canada) for instructions.
- Make sure the product is NOT CONNECTED to your computer.
Windows®: If you see a Found New Hardware screen, click Cancel and disconnect the USB cable.
- Download and run your product’s software package. For the latest software, visit http://epson.com/support/et3843 (U.S.) or http://epson.ca/support/et3843 (Canada).
- Follow the instructions on the computer screen to run the setup program.
- When you see the Select Your Connection screen, select one of the following and follow the on-screen instructions:
In most cases, the software installer automatically attempts to set up your wireless connection. If the setup is unsuccessful, you may need to enter your network name (SSID) and password.
Direct USB connection
Make sure you have a USB cable (not included).
Wired network connection
Make sure you have an Ethernet cable (not included).
Mobile and voice-activated printing
- Print directly from your Android™ (v4.4 or later) device*. Simply connect your printer and device to the same network and tap the menu icon to select the print option.
- Turn your mobile device into an intuitive, easy-to-use printing and scanning control center with Epson Smart Panel. Download the app from your mobile device’s app store.
- Print from wherever you are, next to your printer or remotely, with Epson Connect™. Learn more at
http://epson.com/connect (U.S.) or http://epson.ca/connect (Canada).
- Use voice-activated assistants to print a variety of creative and everyday items from your Epson® product. Simply add your product to an Epson Connect account, then link the account to a voice-activated assistant. See http://epson.com/voice (U.S.) or http://epson.ca/voice (Canada) for more information.
Need paper and ink?
Ensure brilliant results with Epson specialty and plain papers, engineered specifically for Epson printers. Find Epson papers and Epson Genuine ink at http://epson.com (U.S. sales) or http://epson.ca (Canadian sales) and at Epson authorized resellers. Call 800-GO-EPSON (800-463-7766)
The network setup was unsuccessful.
- Make sure you select the right network name (SSID).
- Restart your router (turn it off and then on), then try to connect to it again.
- If you see a firewall alert message, click Unblock or Allow to let setup continue.
- If your network has security enabled, make sure you enter your network password (WEP key or WPA passphrase) correctly. Be sure to enter your password in the correct case.
- Print a network connection report to identify network problems and solutions. See your online User’s Guide for instructions.
There are lines or incorrect colors in my printouts. Run a nozzle check to see if there are any gaps in the printout. Then clean the print head, if necessary. See the online User’s Guide for more information. The product’s screen is dark. Make sure your product is turned on and press any button to wake it from sleep mode. Setup is unable to find my product after connecting it with a USB cable. Make sure your product is on and the USB cable is securely connected.
Windows: Click the icon on your desktop or Apps screen to access the online User’s Guide.
Mac: Click the icon in Applications/Epson Software/Guide to access the online User’s Guide. If you don’t have a User’s Guide icon, go to the Epson website, as described in “Technical support.”
Visit http://epson.com/support/et3843 (U.S.) or http://epson.ca/support/et3843 (Canada) to download drivers, view manuals, get FAQs, or contact Epson. Call (562) 276-4382 (U.S.) or (905) 709-3839 (Canada), 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. Days and hours of support are subject to change without notice. Toll or long-distance charges may apply.
Epson offers a recycling program for end-of-life hardware and ink bottles. Please go to http://epson.com/recycle (U.S.) or http://epson.ca/recycle (Canada) for information on how to return your products for proper disposal.
EPSON and Epson Smart Panel are registered trademarks, EPSON Exceed Your Vision is a registered logomark, and Epson Connect is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation. Designed for Excellence is a trademark of Epson America, Inc. Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android, Chromebook, and Google Play are trademarks of Google LLC. General Notice: Other product names used herein are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. Epson disclaims any and all rights in those marks. This information is subject to change without notice. © 2021 Epson America, Inc., 12/21.